Sunday, October 4, 2009

Baked Eggplant with Mozzarella and Tomatoes

On our way home from the farm this weekend, Hubby and I stopped at this fabulous farmer's market in Hempstead. The eggplant and tomatoes were just beautiful, so I immediately started thinking about an eggplant Parmesan of sorts for dinner, and this is what I came up with:


I sliced the eggplant, and seasoned it with EVOO, salt and pepper. Then I topped the slices with mozzarella cheese, slices of beefsteak tomatoes, red onion and basil. The basil, by the way, is my very own homegrown basil from my back patio! After an unsuccessful attempt at growing my own herbs a few months ago, I decided to cut myself some slack and try again.... so far so good!



The eggplant was just delicious, and the mozzarella, tomatoes and basil really added a great dimension. I can't wait to go back to the farm, so that I can drag Hubby to this amazing farmer's market again. I can't remember the name right now, but when I make my next visit I'll write it down so that I can share it with everyone!

Happy eggplant!

No comments: